We at ABFRL present stories excerpted from our internal newsletter ‘In Touch’, where we celebrate the stories of our people and their contributions.
As a Store Manager and Store Coach at Pantaloons, Arvind Jha is friendly with his staff and a delight with his customers. His journey is etched deeply in learning new things, making him try new ways to help ABFRL connect more deeply with all its stakeholders at his store.
Can you describe your journey at ABFRL?
I joined ABFRL as a management trainee. During my probation, I got placed at Pantaloons, where I started my retail journey. Within 1.5 months, I was asked to look after kids department. Soon, I started looking after the Business Intelligence part of the store, along with the additional responsibility of training my team members under Store Coach Program. Here, I learned a lot about store operations, where my task was to drive processes and look into different parameters of customer satisfaction and internal audits. All these helped me gain a lot of knowledge in running a store.
You have been a consistent high-performer. What is your recipe for success?
I follow three Mantras:
1. You grow with your team members. I work more as a friend and colleague than as a leader. I always seek the opinions of my team members, which has helped me achieve my targets.
2. Never wait for a chance, create your own opportunities.
3. Let go off failures and have fun with it. Failure is part of growth and success. Complaining does not help, but embracing it with gratitude does. Enjoying hard times and learning from my mistakes helped me enjoy my success.
Who is your role model and why?
Having a role model in life is the most crucial aspect on the path of self-improvement. My role model is one of the greatest scientist, eminent professor, eloquent speaker, and the people’s President Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam.
These lines from him always inspire me:
- “If you fail, never give up because FAIL means “First Attempt In Learning”.
- “Don’t take rest after your first victory because if you fail in second, more lips are waiting to say that your first victory was just luck.”
- “All Birds find shelter during a rain. But Eagle avoids rain by flying above the Clouds.”
- “Man needs difficulties in life because they are necessary to enjoy the success.”
- “If you want to shine like a sun. First burn like a sun.”
- “Be more dedicated to making solid achievements than in running after swift but synthetic happiness.”
- “Without your involvement you can’t succeed. With your involvement you can’t fail.”
What is the one thing that you love most about your job?
I love my job because the Organization cares about me and my professional growth. There is a genuine spirit of cooperation and shared goals, revolving around helping the customer. Moreover, everyone shares the same vision, which creates a family environment, where everybody is there for each other.
According to you, how is ABFRL different from its peers?
What I love most about ABFRL is that it is a people-centric organisation. This company always believes in its employees and offers growth opportunities to everyone. We also have several platforms for learning and development.
How do you strike a work-life balance?
I find that with the right Organization, it is pretty simple to balance life and work. When I enjoy what I do, it doesn’t feel like a chore. But when at home, my family has my complete attention. On my weekly off, I also do things for myself to ensure that I am rejuvenated before the work week begins.
Get to know me better
Name: Arvind Kumar Jha
Birthday: 7th October
Alma Mater: EIILM (Kolkata)
Favorite movie: G.I. Joe Retaliation
Dream holiday destination: Santorini, Greece
“Arvind is a focused retail professional, blessed with a balanced approach of handling day to day business operations in a flawless manner. He is highly efficient in handling matters related to people management and always detailed in process orientation. He carries an excellent temperament and his relentless focus on his personal and business goals enables him to achieve the highest performance standards.”
ABM – Bihar and Jharkhand