At the cusp of 2021, we have collectively seen a year that has taught us many unforgettable lessons that will stay with us for a lifetime.
One of these lessons has been the importance of the health and safety of people and the environment. In 2020, our planet temporarily healed during the COVID-induced lockdowns. In India, particulate matter (PM10 and PM2.5) concentrations reduced by nearly half compared to pre-lockdown, NO2 and CO showed a considerable decline during the lockdown, and the air quality at transportation and industrial locations improved by nearly 60%.
However, this could not last forever. The minute the world started opening up again, pollution levels rose, further bringing to light the pressing problem Mother Earth is facing. One where her natural resources are being over-utilized, resulting in a negative impact on the entire planet and its future.
Keeping this in mind, while looking at 2021, here is a resolution we all need to make collectively as mankind.
The resolution to look after Mother Earth by putting her needs before ours.
While the lockdown brought temporary relief to Nature, we, as a society, need to think long-term for a sustainable future. We need to make conscious decisions today that will leave a positive impact on the generations to come.
Keeping this in mind, we at ABFRL, are making a new resolution towards our planet and its resources. We are transitioning our sustainability journey from process-led to product-led, which we call Sustainability 2.0.
Our initial success in our first sustainability journey has not only instilled a robust sustainability culture and embedded sustainable practices across processes but also empowered us to amplify product-led sustainability.
Going forward, we will use sustainable practices from the beginning to the end of the product life cycle, including:
- Embedding sustainability right from product design to development. This means developing a closed-loop design framework that is built on sustainable practices.
- Focussing on raw material sourcing, which includes Sustainable materials, clean energy management, human rights and compliance, water and chemical management, and zero defects.
- Investing in sustainable supply chain management by implementing Sustainable packaging, GHG emission management, and plastic waste management.
- Endorsing circularity, recycling, and upcycling in the apparel industry.
We, realise that you, today’s consumers, are socially and environmentally conscious, which is why you are seeking sustainable products. Hence, we want to pledge our Sustainability 2.0 resolution to you. We hope that you, too, will undertake this sustainable journey with us.
These are our 2025 Sustainability Strategies under Sustainability 2.0:
- 50% of garments to have at least 2 sustainable attributes
- Sustainable product labelling
- 10% of products by volume to be recycled/upcycled
- 5% reduction in product intensity
- 5% reduction in scope 3 emissions
- Critical Tier 1 and 2 suppliers to be assessed and disclosed on the Sustainability Index
- Zero severity at our premises
- Weaving benefit for our future
- Traceability of Waste
- Green Building Certified Build Environment
- Renewable Energy across operations
- Water Positive across operations
You can join and support our resolution too. All you have to do is shop sensibly by buying products from places that look after the long-term well-being of the planet.
Let us all enter the new year with one resolution on our minds. To make each year brighter and better with the future and environment-centric decisions we make today.
Awards and Accolades
- S&P Global CSA 2020 announces ABFRL as Asia’s `Most Sustainable Company’ in Textile, Apparel & Luxury Goods Industry
- ABFRL receives the Outstanding Accomplishment Award in the Corporate Excellence category at the CII-ITC Sustainability Awards 2020 with the highest score in the assessment.
- ABFRL recognized as one of India’s Most Sustainable Companies, 2020 by BW Business World.